Coronavirus Update 117: Moderna vs. Pfizer COVID 19 Vaccine (mRNA vaccines)Professor Roger Seheult, MD discusses the Moderna COVID-19 mRNA vaccine: How it works and what we know about the safety, efficacy, and side effects at this time.
No mRNA vaccine has ever been approved by the FDA, but Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech hope to receive emergency approval based on preliminary data from their ongoing vaccine trials.
Moderna's two-dose vaccine regimen does not require special refrigeration (the Pfizer vaccine is supposed to be stored at -70 Celcius) but a variety of questions remain:
Will the vaccine prevent transmission and asymptomatic spread?
How long will immunity last?
Will “94.5% effective” hold up to peer-review and additional data when it is gathered?
(This video was recorded on November 17, 2020).
Dr. Seheult is the co-founder and lead instructor at
LINKS / REFERENCES:
Johns Hopkins Tracker |
Outcomes for Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest in the United States During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 Pandemic (JAMA Cardiology) |
Moderna’s Covid-19 vaccine is strongly effective, early look at data show (STAT) |
mRNA Platform: Enabling Drug Discovery & Development (Moderna) |
What is mRNA? (Moderna) |
Moderna’s COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate Meets its Primary Efficacy Endpoint in the First Interim Analysis of the Phase 3 COVE Study (Moderna) |
THE MEDCRAM WEBSITE:
Visit us for videos on over 60 medical topics and CME / CEs for medical professionals:
SUBSCRIBE TO THE MEDCRAM YOUTUBE CHANNEL:
Get notified of new videos by hitting the bell icon:
RECENT PREVIOUS COVID-19 UPDATES:
Please visit MedCram.com for the full series:
- Coronavirus Update 116: Pfizer COVID 19 Vaccine Explained (Biontech)
- Coronavirus Update 115: Convalescent Plasma vs Monoclonal Antibodies for COVID 19 Treatment
- Coronavirus Update 114: COVID 19 Death Rate Drops; NAC (N acetylcysteine) Data
- Coronavirus Update 113: Remdesivir May Not Work for COVID 19
- Coronavirus Update 112: Linoleic Acid; Vaccines; UK COVID 19 Data
- Coronavirus Update 111: Masks; New Vitamin D Data and COVID 19; NAC
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 110: Trump's Risk Factors and COVID-19 Prognosis; Interferon
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 109: New Data From Europe As COVID 19 Infections Rise
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 108: High Risk COVID 19 Behaviors; Cases Rise in Europe
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 107: Monoclonal Antibodies for COVID 19 Treatment and Prevention?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 105: FDA Authorized Treatments; COVID 19 Vaccine Update
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 103: Convalescent Plasma Treatment & the FDA; College Campuses Close
All coronavirus updates are at MedCram.com (including monoclonal antibody treatment vs convalescent plasma treatment, COVID vaccine, mRNA vaccine, COVID 19 prevention, Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, Biontech, coronavirus vaccine, COVID 19 treatments, COVID-19 vaccine updates, and more).
We offer over 60 medical topics (ECG Interpretation, DKA, influenza, measles, mechanical ventilation, etc.) on our website.
MEDCRAM WORKS WITH MEDICAL PROGRAMS AND HOSPITALS:
MedCram offers group discounts for students and a variety of medical programs, hospitals, and other institutions. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
Roger Seheult, MD
Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Disease, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine.
Associate Professor at the University of California, Riverside School of Medicine
Media Contact: email@example.com
Media contact info:
Video Produced by Kyle Allred
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
MedCram medical videos are for medical education and exam preparation, and NOT intended to replace recommendations from your doctor.